My demo reel took a semester to complete. As I create more animated shorts I will reconfigure the demo reel, putting my best work forward. The work shown in this demo reel features Jail Break, Seasons and a Walk Cycle using the Andy Rig. Creating a demo reel is a long process that requires an artist to look at their own work critically. You want the reel to catch the attention of whoever is watching. Your work should speak for itself and show the 12 principles of animation.
Jail Break is a project that I started when I was first learning how to use Maya. The project was very basic. I decided for my demo to elevate this project and in a sense almost redo the entire project. I started storyboarding and thought of a new way to bring this project to life. Some of the work I kept like the models, rig and environment. I did however, have to redo the animation and change the how the keys walked. The way they walked didn’t look natural. In the end I am very happy with the result. Below is a video of Jail Break and a playblast of the rig for the keys.
Below is my Seasons project fully rendered, which showcases particle effects and ncloth. Seasons was created in Maya 2016 and Adobe After Effects. The rain and snow were particle effects created in Maya. The pollen was created in After Effects.
The demo reel I am working on this semester also involves the creation of a walk cycle. Below I have listed the tutorial I have been using from Lynda.com. I decided to use the Andy rig for my walk cycle. The rig is extensive, but as I am working I do wish there were additional controls. For instance, the heels of the feet do not have a control. This would have been really helpful in adding anticipation to the beginning of the foot moving and after the passing pose. I have also included a playblast in this post to show my progress so far. As of now I have animated the hips, legs and feet.
Below is a completed version of my project for this semester. This project consists of a weather cycle displaying all of the seasons. I used Maya 2016 to create the particle effects and environment. The pollen particles were created in Adobe After Effects. Some technical issues occurred at the last minute and will be fixed next semester. I will also redo the render to have either a resolution of 1080p or 720p.
Throughout this project my environment has changed and in the process become a fully developed entity. Below is a screenshot of my current progress with the environment. Over the next few weeks I will be adding more mental ray proxies and making adjustments to the winter scene.
This playblast showcases the rain particles for my weather cycle project. It will soon be imported into my main environment. My spring scene will only last 10-15 seconds in length when completed.